View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Avid

Default Re: HEAT, NEVE 8048 Listening Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUNDDECISION View Post
Wouldnt it be better to ask "pick the best sounding A, B or C. " for each section Since without a point of reference its hard to have any idea how you have heat set. Are you making it Brighter , Darker etc...

This isnt really a good test to figure out which is the best sounding since you spend the whole time trying to guess which each one must be rather than just focusing on picking the best sounding mix.

They clearly sound different and better and worse but that doesnt necessarily translate into identifying what each one must be.

Also the mix files are very low quality... is this a low rate Mp3? Is it possible to get a fuller sounding mix to compare?

This is a great idea tho...
The mixes you downloaded are dithered 48k 16 Bit files. There really is no easy way to make a 96k 24 Bit Video QuickTime file, I tried to. 48k 16 Bit is not much different than any other CD, except these are not mastered versions.

The point of the test really is, they are all cool and close. If the NEVE (Analogued Summing) mix was hands down better, it would be obvious for people to hear and they would pick that mix as their favorite. To me, the average score of 30% means people can't really hear the difference, it's slightly less than 33% if you randomly pick 3.

If anyone in Los Angeles wants to schedule a time to hear the full 24/96k mixes, I'm sure we could set up a time in our Burbank office... Email me after AES.

Also - I will try to bring the files to the AES show in San Fran.

Thanks guys!

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/