View Single Post
Old 03-03-2003, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Setting up 002 for the first time

I found that if I have the virtual memory on any other drive but the C: Drive, the systems really lags. I have it setup to have all applications and OS on the C: drive and then I have a drive partitioned just for SESSIONS. I seem to find that it works best that way. If it helps, this is how my system looks:

AMD 1800+ with 1.5 gigs of PC2700 ram
G-Force 3 Ti500 card for left monitor
ATI Radeon 8500 (PCI) for second monitor
(This setup works great BTW)
20 gig Maxtor 7200 RPM drive (OS and APPS)
60 GIG 7200RPM drive partitioned to 2 30 gig partitions. One for video post stuff and one for data.
60 Gig 7200rpm drive partitioned out to 2 30 gigs (again) One for Sessions, the other for backup. This seems to run very smooth for me,and helps keep things organized.
I am running XP Pro and have had little to no problems so far.

Hope that this helps some. Your setup seems to be a nice setup. If you are not running them in a RAID setup, I would recommend partitioning out 20 gigs and using that for your OS and apps. Then use the rest for storage. Set your Virtual drive to 1024 and 1 1/2 time that for max. That will work the best. I also recommend partitioning those other 2 80 gig drives at least into 2 40 gig partitions. No need to search thru all that space all the time. You are not using RAID and at that size, even the speed it still the lim factor.

Hope this helps. Just some things that I have seen working with the 4 systems I use at home. I have one machine that has 180 gigs of MP3's on it and the other has 20+ gigs of loops and data storage. Mainly a animation monster for use with MAYA, etc. The other is a server for website and virus scanner. So I have dabbled with it some to see what works... Still new to PTLE a bit, but I use the same hardware ( 002, etc )

Good luck

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"