View Single Post
Old 04-28-2020, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020 with Mojave/reinstatement plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
Got ya! Thanks for the reply, dude! So, just to wrap my head around this;I don't run a professional facility, so I'm admittedly bad at the whole backup stay up to date thing.. Not very smart, I know.

But, would a sufficient option be, make a backup of my computer, upgrade to Mojave, install the free trial of Pro Tools 2020 (I don't need ultimate) on my computer and see how it runs, and if all is good, do a clean install and go for it, if not revert back to where I was, or maybe even try Catalina? I ask this because I don't have a spare SSD or partition, so it would require me to wipe my computer.
I also thought I read in the past that you can change the extension name of Pro Tools and install two different versions at the same time, and people do that for testing purposes. Is that alright to do and worth trying?

I also take it that when I do my reinstatement plan, I won't be able to have access to Pro Tools 2018 or 2019, correct? Or will it give me those as legacy installers?
I said pretty clearly the best way to do this, and you are asking something different. Why are you talking about wiping anything? To save yourself from potentially total loss of a working system by some simple mistake go and get a new SSD. Tell us exactly what Mac you have and current drives I will recommend a new drive to purchase. And if you are not making clone backups today, well you may need to buy another drive and start doing that before you do anything else.

There is never a good reason to be doing stuff that trashes you system, it's much better to work so that the time to recover is the time it takes to reboot from a known working drive. "Known working" does not include clone backups unless you test them carefully, and if you are not making clone backups today, I would not trust your first try at it to save your ass when you screw up. (but I'd still make one as insurance).

Avid only provides a free trial of Ultimate, so just use that. If it works you can then use the new 2020 standard license you purchase. It's exactly the same software installed on disk. And have you checked you have all the plugins you need and are compatible with this upgrade... start downloading their latest/compatible installers.

Doing a clean macOS installs has discussed here many times before, and is all over the web. You can Google for how to do a clean install on your Mac. Normally you download and run the installer from the Apple store... but that is an issue, the store will likely only offer you Catalina today unless you have downloaded Mojave before... so check and if you don't have it you should start by contacting Apple support begging them to get you a Mojave installer... and explain to them why you need it for what compatibility reason. ... (and why do you need Mojave and not Catalina? If you are only doing audio and don't know of any issues I'd just try Catalina to start with... is your Mac hardware listed as suitable for each macOS version?).

And when you run that installer when it asks you--do *not* do an update, select the full install on a new drive option. I can't even recall what that looks likes, you can find all that online.