View Single Post
Old 04-05-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

Quote:
Dan,

AFAIK, you use 82 db SPL for a mono surround track (i.e. Dolby Stereo LCRS). In that case, when the channels sum up acoustically, 82+82=85, but only for theatrical mixes. LCRS mixes for TV and DVD use 85 dB for the surrounds. 85 is also used for 5.1 (discrete surround) mixes, theatrical or otherwise.

At least, that's what I think it is. There are a lot of folks on this board who know more than I, so, as always, take the info with a grain of salt and double-check it.

Hope this helps.
-Christian

Thanks, I'm doing my best to get my head around the Dolby spec (in general) and Pascal from Blue Sky was very helpful in sorting out some questions.

Quote:
Dan,
Weren't you over on the "Radford Lot" mixing a Feature recently? Are you trying to see how the music translates to the Stage? Keeping in mind the final location (Theatrical, TV, DVD etc) will determine your calibration. If you’re mixing for Features it's 85 c weighted slow. Follow the Dolby guidelines. If your mixing for TV it's typically 79-82spl.Did you contact your Music Mixer and see how/if he calibrated his system? If your still in doubt contact your Re-Recording Mixer at the Stage and have him get you in touch with the Chief Engineer of the facility. He will be able to set you straight.
Take Care,

Yes, that was me. We just finished last week so I will call Steve B over there and ask how they cal their surrounds. I enjoyed that room very much (spacious!) and the mixers are awesome. I AM trying to see how music translates to stage, though it will benefit temp music as much as the actual score mix stems. Also, I cut some musical effects in quad format for the final but had to do it on stage on headphones, so I didn't really know if it was going to work until the next day when the music mixer let me play it back. That really hit home for me the importance of being able to monitor in 5.1 with accuracy.

Thanks to everybody for their valued input.