View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Why Not Available to MBox3 Owners?

jimst57, you are in the same situation as upgraders, who misses a grace period/window. Your question is: What would it cost to offer a free download of Pro Tools Express to existing MBox3 customers? avids business case is: A new user wants to buy an Mbox3. He can choose between yours (second hand) and a new one. He then decides to buy the new one (Pro Tools express included, warranty etc.). I myself would do so, unless the price difference is really big. So, avid wins on short terms. Therefore, they don't offer a free download (moving value backwards to the existing user). Believe me, they have calculated the risk of losing you as a customer (or at least they should have). That's why it's often a love/hate relationship, because they do nothing on their own to compensate anyone. Another example: avid discontinues the DV Toolkit to Complete Production Toolkit upgrade. Users asks avid to continue the product, because they have spend a lot of money on the DV Toolkit, which is now worthless. avid sees the opportunity and reintroduces the upgrade, this time at a higher price, and market the initiative as a sensation and a "we listen to you" act.

There's only one rule: If you enter the avid boat, you will have to pay extra for a life jacket. There are no freebies, not even on support and the level of investment protection is low. If you can't live by this rule, please take my hand and we'll leave the boat together.