View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 11:22 AM

Default Re: 8 input set up with HD Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I have the XL48 in my rig and never noticed any fan noise. Wonder if its early vs later or maybe you just got a bad fan?
The fan was fine, I think it is just noisier than I like, and set at a higher voltage than is necessary. Maybe the earlier units have a different arrangement?

I have always had good results with Noctua products, relatively high airflow CFM at low noise levels. I did use a "low noise adapter" that came with the fan, basically just an extension cable that has an inline resistor. Now I don't hear the fan at all. Temperature delta still around 10 degrees (30 or so degrees C in a 20-degree room) so it's working well.

Normally the fan noise on a mobile rig would be a moot point, but this is part of my new "modular" setup that lives in my studio and, after disconnecting three cables, goes on the road with me. So it will spend a large amount of time in an otherwise quiet environment.

EDIT: I really did not intend to hijack the thread, sorry.