View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 03:27 PM

Default Re: IMac Pro or UA Apollo 8

I went through a similar dilemma a few months ago, I upgraded from a 2009 i7 iMac with 16gb ram. The iMac i9 has loud fans compared to the other choices, so you can narrow it down between iMac Pro and trash can unless fan noise doesn’t bother you.

iMac Pro advantages include thunderbolt 3 (faster than thunderbolt 2 and more choices for external enclosures), really nice monitor and slightly more CPU power.

The trash can Mac Pro is cheaper even after buying monitors and a thunderbolt drive dock, and even though it’s 7 year old technology, it’s still a beast of a computer, and runs nearly silent.

I ended up getting a Mac Pro for $1600, it had 64gb ram, 6 core and 512MB SSD. I bought a thunderbolt 2 drive dock from OWC and that seems to great for my needs. I love that I can swap drives quickly for backup purposes, and run both 3.5 drives and 2.5 ssd in it. It runs the 2.5 SSDs at their max speed, which is not as fast as the internal ssd of the Mac Pro but fine for streaming samples or recording audio.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?