View Single Post
Old 08-11-2023, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Using Pro Tools w/ Xbox One X

There has been a lot of confusion with gaming consoles and using external audio equipment, so I'll add to this thread.

Having experience with Xbox and using the TRS counterpart from iRig, tried multiple setups, though using that dongle in the end for me has been a lifesaver. I personally wanted to play video games with as minimal audio latency (through balanced cables) Not only am I able to monitor signal coming into the Xbox (direct monitoring), via audio settings. I can also use my Studio monitors and Sub with entirely external equipment making game immersion, immensely impressive.

My setup starts, with a UAD Volt 2 having my phantom powered mic (AKG). Now, with the (UAD Volt), I take the Left output of the Volt (or whichever small interface/mixer) and I connect that to the iRig's guitar input, as long as it's received the correct gain from the interface send to the Volt and remember to allow your interface/mixer a direct signal of your output.

You'll be able to give the Xbox a healthy and good amount of signal. With the TRS input connected to the Controller, volume up on iRig and connect your wired headphones to the headphone output to the iRig. Connect the iRig's guitar input to the L or mono output of whichever device you want to use any external microphone

So far, I can see that I can stream my audio, talk to friends, then use my studio monitors and Sub playing singleplayer things. Xbox includes a direct monitoring function near the party audio settings recording and playback with my voice. Noise suppression for voice settings in the Xbox is decent enough to filter unwanted sounds reaching your friends and the audio being processed for Streaming. However, only switch off noise suppression if playing music through your mic (such as an acoustic guitar or vocal performance).

Last things to mention about Xbox and Audio functionality is 48Khz (always) as 44.1khz makes crackling horridness with their audio engine. Voila, set the correct mic gain with whichever external device and I believe this works with all Xbox console families (One, One X, One S, Series S, Series X)

Have a lovely time gaming and getting perf audio ☺️