View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 07:06 PM

Default Re: CPU spikes? NO! ***sigh*** yes.

Went around and around with Jeff Peterson at RME today. I'll spare you the gory details, but where I landed is as follows...

Playback through PT is unusable, but playback from any other source, like iTunes, Media Player (whatever Win10's version of that is called) is totally clean. I attributed that to the lighter CPU load they require.

So then I had an idea...I used RME Totalmix to route the output of WDM back into an aux input in PT. Anytime that audio passed through PT is was wrecked...distorted badly. Even if PT was not playing.

Then I remembered that my Berklee MacBook has PT12 on it, so I loaded the RME software on it and got beautiful clean playback from that computer with 40 extra instances of DVerb installed in the session for load.

So in short, all of the audio on my main computer that passes through protools is wrecked. Everything else is fine.

I'm still seeing CPU spikes that NEVER stop the playback, which I can't explain, but those spikes ONLY register in PT. Not in any other CPU monitor.

Any thoughts on whether this could still be a video card issue that's freaking out ONLY PT? If so, recommendations on a replacement video card?

I have to fly to Boston tomorrow to teach until Wednesday night, so I'm not gonna get anything accomplished on this until Thursday. But I can order a video card whenever.