View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Win10 Disabling Hyper-Threading question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

I do not understand why you are talking about comparing Apple with Windows 10.
Only because I currently saw that Avid advises to disable Hyper-Threading on Win10. I haven't seen the same recommendation on MacOS. Perhaps it's there but I didn't come across it.

I was completely unaware that this was an issue, nor I ever came across to a scenario that required it.

I am currently building a big HP Server for a several purposes (Atmos Rendering and for VR playback) and I am investigating how it could work as Pro Tools PC as well.

Darryl, could you please give me an example of a Pro Tools issue that was solved by disabling Hyper-Threading on a Mac?

Since I initially posted this today, I have been researching further into this matter, reading online and posting the same query on an FB group. Yes indeed, HT might not be doubling the CPU prowess but some reports refer to a 30% increase. Of course, it depends on plugins used, etc.

I'll try and disable Hyper-Threading on tomorrow's project and compare the System Usage window to the one with Hyper-Threading enabled to check whether there might be any difference at my system.