View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Mac Pro 5.1 Mojave - what GPU cards work?

I tossed a Sapphire RX580 into my 5,1 Mac Pro a few days ago. It has been incident free running Mojave & HDX with 2019.6. It's a non-EFI card, but I'm not fussed by it as my computer stays on for weeks at a time.

One thing that I did discover through the process is that you need to run the OSX Mojave installer from either a USB stick or from one of the internal SATAII ports inside the 5,1 Mac Pro for it to update the firmware on the machine. It won't update the firmware during the installation process if you try and execute the installer from a PCIe based SSD. If you are running a non-EFI card, just follow the instructions given by the Mojave installer. You will experience a black screen during the firmware upgrade process but you can check if it was successful via the system info in OSX (boot rom: 144.0.0.0.0 is what you are aiming for).
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.