View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Just got my new Mac Pro 2019, 16 Core Review: worth upgrading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockemusic View Post
Thanks for all your replies I appreciate it :)

I think I will stay with the 16 core and just install my Sample Libraries and Sessions on internal M.2. Is it better to put everything on a single 2TB M.2 or having separate 1TB sticks? Ive heard good things about Samsung 970 EVO but not sure whether to go for the pro or pro plus model. Does anyone know where I can get the OWC or Sonnet card for M.2 in the UK? Amazon do the SSD sticks.

Darryl Ramm:

Yes the "Restore tracks" is once Im in Pro Tools and click "Open Project".

Ive set the Disk Cache to 100 GB, takes a while to process but when it does the Disk Cache meter shows Memory at 74%. I'll test the performance, would you recommend setting higher or lower value? Pro Tools says I can now go up to 154 GB. Ive always set it to normal but makes a lot of sense to use it seeing as I have more memory.

Marsdy:

Yes I do use Kontakt quite a bit. Out of interest would you recommend the HDX card for 16 core users, Im guessing you are using to get track with low latency? Ive always worked on MacBook Pros so its nice to finally have PCIE slots

Overall Im really liking this new setup and Pro Tools 2020.5 is running like butter on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2
I really like HDX providing I don't mix native and DSP plug-ins too much. It works fine if you don't keep switching back and forth between the two. I do have quite a few hardware synths/modular/drum machines etc. that I monitor live in Pro Tools so the low latency is great for that.

I'm using Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives and they work great. The Pro version just isn't worth the considerable extra expense IMO.

I would definitely go for the Sonnet card because it's a faster x16 card, than the OWC x8 card, 4 lanes per m.2 stick AND there's a brand new version without a fan!
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/sonnet-m2-4x4-pcie-card
I got my older fan version from Scan and it arrived in stock when they said. They can be very difficult to get hold of! I literally waited months.

Two 1TB M.2 sticks in RAID 0 will be faster than one 2TB stick. I have four Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives on the Sonnet card and get read speeds regularly up to 8500MB/s.

However, depending on how much storage you need you might get away one 2TB stick on one of these to get you going.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That will get you the full performance out of one m.2 drive.

The beauty of this super fast storage is you can tweak Kontakt performance. Preload Buffer Size can be lowered from the default 60KB so libraries don't have as much to load into RAM. I have it set to 24KB and I'm sure I could go lower .

Also make sure Load Samples in Background is on although I think it is by default.