View Single Post
Old 02-04-2000, 01:41 AM

Default Re: MIX PLUS W/P CONTROL VS EUPHONICS W/ 1/2\" TAPE AND 888 24

If your mix engineer isn't familiar with mixing on PT, then go for the Euphonix.

You can still use the plug-ins you want, and even do a lot of automation in PT. But He will very likely get pretty frustrated with the delays caused by the plug-ins, if he is not used to work around them.

IMHO the Euphonix is very transparent, and not a desk that adds lots of caracter like an SSL or Neve, so I would base my decision on what the mix engineer is most comfortable working on. Soundwise it is pretty much the same advantages/disadvantages (Clean and clear with a lack of caracter and warmth)

If you decide to mix in PT, I would recommend not to use any of the mastering plug-ins on the master fader. Just bounce direct to 24 bit, or to a 24 bit DAT, and let the mastering guys do the analog processing with their very high-end converters.

I am working on a project now that I will mix on my pro tools for the stereo version, and then mix a 5.1 surround version on a Euphonix cs desk. I plan on using a lot of my original pro tools automation, and mostly use the Euphonix to do the surround panning, and to add the surround reverbs and stuff.

iMac27 i7 3.4 / 32 GB Ram / ML 10.8.5
Apollo 8 / PTHD 10.3.9 / PTHD 12.4