View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Connecting preamp to compressors to interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
While I double-compress in a mix all the time, I would probably never do it while tracking. Its just too easy to accidentally overdo it(which can never be UNdone). I would go mic>preamp>compressor>interface. The KT2A would be my choice for vocals, but I might go with the 76 for some other sources

BUT**** the great big "but", since you never mention what interface, there is one more detail that matters. Make sure you go into the interface on a line level input and NOT a mic(XLR) input.

If you really feel compelled to go thru both compressors on the way in, I would take 2 signals(put up 2 audio tracks, make them a group, mute one, record both). 1 signal would be the output of the second compressor and the other signal would be the extra output of the first compressor(assuming they have both XLR and TRS outputs). This way, if you "overcook" with 2 comps, you also have a recording with only the first
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
In reference to this keep in mind that not all interfaces that have both line level and mic level inputs have separate input stages. Some use a circuit with a pad in front of the mic pre section on the line input. So you'd still be going through the mic pre circuitry.
I'm using the scarlett 18i20 2nd gen. If the phantom power is off on channels 5 to 8 are those line level?