Thread: Software Update
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 12:07 AM

Default Software Update

I originally posted this in the thread "Working in session and PT just closes!!!" but I moved it here so as not to disturb that thread.

I would like to suggest that Digi considers implementing a proper and robust "software update" system for ProTools. Many users have hundreds of different 3rd party programs/plug-in all running in the PT environment. The problem is that keeping track of compatible versions can be a huge pain. In many cases even a single out of date component can cause all kinds of headaches. The solution is for Digi to implement an extensible software update system to manage all software that is used on the platform.

Here is a super loose start for this idea:

1. Add a "Check for Updates" menu entry

2. This function will generate a table that contains all of the installed software on the users PT system including:
a. Operating system version and all relevant components, e.g. OS, QuickTime, AU, etc..
b. ProTools version and all components
c. All plug-ins and versions
d. I am sure I am forgetting other things

3. The Table will show:
a. The name of the component
b. The installed version of the component
c. The current compatible version of the component
d. An indicator if the component is not compatible or out of date

4. If the component is not compatible a way to resolve the conflict which will include one of the following:
a. A link to the manufactures website - where possible to the download page
b. Where Digidesign has direct control over the component the ability to simply perform the update with a single click

This concept helps both vendors and end users. I fully realize the complexity in actually implementing such a system. I do however feel that any well designed software platform needs to include software tools for component upgrades and maintenance.

-Mike