View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Alesis HD24 to ProTools Session?

Hi there ... To the best of our knowledge, there's no way to "directly convert" the HD24 files to SDII. I get quite a few mastering jobs from a local studio that runs a couple of HD24s and from time to time find myself there with a PowerBook and an MBox to help out on something.

FWIW, so far, the easiest way we've found is to network the HD24 and the PowerBook and transfer the relevant aiff/wave files onto the Mac via .ftp (the HD24 manual has clear instructions how to configure this). Once the files are in the Mac ... and the process is surprisingly quick ... we import the aiff/wave files into ProTools and get to work. Getting them back is the opposite procedure (they do their final mix in analogue from the HD24s so they need to get the files back into the recorder ... maybe you don't).

If there's an easier way, we'd love to hear about it. I believe the client's studio is permanently set up with a .ftp connection between an HD24 and a PC (where they do the editing in Nuendo mainly).

A word of caution ... be careful not to alter the length of the files when you're working on them in ProTools. Our experience is that the HD24 will only "accept" them back if the files are exactly the same length (in samples) as when they left it.

Hope this if some assistance