View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

I feel like it is my duty to post to this thread even if no one reads it. This thread is part of history and folklore now. I have been a Pro Tools user for 15 years. I have an HD2 and Control24 in one room and an HDX system with Artist mixes, control, color and transport in the other room. I love working in Pro Tools and I now realize that I was very naive when I bought the Control24. For some reason I thought those kinds of Control surfaces/mixers would be treated like the consoles of old. My mentors saved and bought consoles that they would lovingly maintain and keep until they retired. Some of those consoles would become “vintage” and highly sought after late into their lifetimes. I wrongly assumed that higher end control surfaces like the control 24 would be treated like the consoles of old in the new "digital age". This was my thinking when I bought the Control24 when it was relatively new. I had no idea that they would essentially become disposable devices eventually. I don't know why I had the idea that higher end control surfaces would enjoy life spans like the consoles of old, but I did. Now I know that I was naïve, but it was the reason I shelled out $10k for it. I wish things weren't this way because I LOVE the Control 24. I would love to use it forever. I even went as far as to see if I could use the C24 controller board inside the Control24 so I could prolong its life, to no avail. It doesn’t work. It looks like the driver is the only hope. I know now that hope is also naïve. The new business model is for control surfaces to be disposable. If I want something that is going to be treated like the consoles my mentors bought, I need to save and get one. Lesson Learned. I am not happy about it, but lesson learned. Control Surfaces are disposal and I should buy the cheapest one that can work for me until I eventually trash it. It’s a commodity I guess, like hammer or a pencil. I’m very sad still about my old control 24, but I’m saving for the right console now. . I also bought a copy of Logic so I could start learning it. I need to have options in a commodity marketplace. I realize my loyalty to Avid is also naive and misplaced. I am not mad at Avid. Avid is a company. Avid is just doing what companies eventually do. It is like the man who bought a baby snake and cared for it and raised it until it was a giant python. One day as the man was dying from suffocation by the python, the man cried with one of his last breaths….”My snake, my son, why did you kill me after I raised you all those years?” The snake replied, “I am just doing what a snake does. Did you not realize I was a snake?” Lesson Learned. Older, Wiser.