View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Protools 8 New look, old look! Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
I don't agree with this point. All we are is time and energy. Since time is finite, using time to complete automatable/repeatable tasks is waste. This time could be spent on things that require a personal touch to improve quality. So I would say saving time thru improved methods/processes improves quality.

Many of us believe the approach to print VIs could be much improved in ProTools, but I would certainly put fixing the GUI, Bug Fixes and RTAS rebuild a lot higher on the list than adding any new PT features.
Yea, I agree too, don't get me wrong.. CERTAIN things it is good to try to save the time as long as quality is not sacrificed (which is rare). But the problem I see becoming more and more of a trend is people OBSESSING over saving time. This in turn ruins alot of things.

Are you one of them speed up in the middle of a block guys even though at the end of the block the light is red ? Not me, but so many people are. In the end it saves NO TIME, but it does cost more on gas and brakes. PLUS you are not enjoying the moment at all. Speeding by things is a good way to miss what the world has to offer OR for you to come up with a idea to improve the quality/scenery. This exact paragraph should be applied to alot of things metaphorically in our music industry if we wanna save the quality from going downhill IMO.

I see that same mentality in every industry now, and unfortunately taking over the music industry too which is a small PART of the reason why records are suffering so bad.

Also, in the example relaxo gave, I feel it is a bad place to save time FOR ME PERSONALLY... when I do have to do something similar to do, I use the "bouncing" idea as a way to "cease the moment" to improve quality (like I said above) to also run it through a few high end pieces of outboard - EQ's, Comp... and mainly a TUBE Line Pre.... When it gets back in.... it is SAUCEY !!! Can't do that if you are panicing on saving time so much that you always just run to "Freeze Track"... and it don't sound no where CLOSE if you try all that using plug ins.

Get my point ?

BUT I do agree in OTHER things, yes saving time is cool. But you should be very careful where and when you are saving this time and analyze if it is truly worth it in the long run or not.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them