View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Free mix workshop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
that looks like an interesting read.... thanks for posting.

yeah I picked up on that too..... seasoning a soup with dusting of this and that go back and taste test... see how it sits with the other flavours. he certainly has an easy going nature and can translate what he's doing in a clear understanding. Even though I'm new to the master end of the process.... nothing Dave did/does in this course did I find confusing. I'm going to go through it again and take notes this time round. I didn't download the session files only because I wouldn't have all the particular plugs that he used, but maybe I could swap out with something I already have.

For a while there I was looking for good guitar plugs to try an recreate the sound coming out of my amp into PT.... I found this impossible until I started using more than one mic actually three for guitar and 2 for bass guitar and experimenting with placement, now I think I would only use plug-ins if I needed to re-amp a dry signal. Although I did buy the CLA Guitars plug because I liked what Dave did with it on an acoustic guitar section. I have three sessions with acoustic guitar on them that I'm currently working on that plug is working a treat.... but then I feel a lil guilty cheating because I have been mucking around with mic placement and it hasn't been as successful, so will persevere..... maybe run a snake down to the bathroom mic up in there.

I cant seem to post on Waves even though I'm logged in so I personally sent a thank you email to Dave himself he sent back a reply this morning he is hoping Waves will put together some more of these short courses. Dave seems like a fella really willing to pass on knowledge.... like the folks on here willing to spend their time enlightening and helping us less knowledgeable. Especially in world where it seems everyone is out for themselves

Peace.
I certainly hope he does more.

Personally, I'd like to see him cover more difficult mixes, certainly ones where he has to perform a few "rescue" operations. It's fair enough to employ a minimalist approach to well recorded arrangements, but what about terribly recorded ones. You know, the kind that can't really be recorded again.

No one really covers this kind of thing much, possibly because they don't want to "look bad". But I believe Dave is humble enough to share some expertise with us on this matter too.