View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Use MTRX Monitor control while still using C24 control surface?

The DAD AX32 is 100% compatible. We have a bunch in use around the studios before Avid jumped in and partnered for the MTRX. There's no worry of it ever becoming incompatible (especially seeing as DAD does all the software/firmware for them.)

The only thing is if looking at the DAD AX32, you need to get one old enough that the digilink-mini connectors were an option. You can't get that separate anymore once Avid and DAD partnered. The only way to get the digilink-mini connectors now is by ordering the MTRX. Also, the MTRX is a bit of a pre-configured bundle of the DAD AX32. You get double power supplies and the ProMon software license included. If you buy the DAD AX32, realize you do not necessarily get the ProMon software/license (the part that makes it a monitoring solution.) And that license was around $1k. So your $1.3k savings can disappear quickly if you actually consider like for like.

I keep the Omni around for two reasons... one, it plays the part of a headphone amp (I have an AES feed from the MTRX feeding into the FPGA mixer on the OMNI.) Second, when I need a quick edit rig for surround, I split the omni off and grab an extra HDX card I have and put that together to create a quick system. Then I can leave that at a studio where I need it and leave my MTRX/HDX3 system on my large system. The Omni is just a good all-rounder to keep for connivence and quite frankly, they don't go for much on the used market so there wouldn't be much of a recoup.

And no, DADman does not talk to the Omni. You can think of the MTRX/DAD AX32 as completely independent from Avid. Everything (right down to shipping from Denmark) seems outside of Avid.