View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 12:37 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

A subscription plan for a DAW is a non-starter for me. Too many things can go wrong - melted servers, interweb glitches, hackerz. Hell, even Google Calendar went down today. I paid $399 in 2013 for a perpetual PT vanilla license, then $99/year for the last 5 years just for updates - $894. Now they're jacking that up to $199/year?

I don't want to quit Pro Tools. I LOVE Pro Tools. But the price they're asking to be able to use the same software I've already paid for is too much. Avid want to believe this is what the industry wants, but I pay for perpetual because I need stability. Aside from PT's own stability issues (PT crashed today after I simply tried to move a channel 3 slots to the left in the mix window. Awesome.), I cannot and will not depend on the reliability of a subscription product for my livelihood. One server in FarAwayLand goes down and I can't meet my deadline. Unacceptable.

If I had to make a choice today, I'd buy 2-3 years of service plans at $99 and then start looking at other DAWs. We'll see how this shakes out over the next two weeks, but that's my plan.

Also, Avid, thanks a ton for doing this during quarterly-self-employment-estimated-taxes-are-due month.