Thread: Pros and Cons
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2002, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Pros and Cons

I've been a Mac fan since they came out...hated PCs. I am also a software developer who uses PC's all day every day.

My understanding is that Pro Tools LE will only run on Win 98 or Windows ME. These operating systems are very unreliable and probably the source of most poeple's PC problems on this forum. Because I'm a developer, though, I use a REAL PC operating system at work, XP Professional or Windows 2000. These operating systems are incredibly better and more stable that the Win 95/98/ME family. I pound the heck out of my PC boxes and never have crashes. Seriously...I reboot my machine only when I have to for installing new software. So...I trust my PC way more than my Mac. My Mac LE system is pretty stable, but probably crashes once a week with moderate use. If Digidesign started supporting the more robust PC operating systems, I wouldn't have a problem switching and you'd probably see a lot of Mac people slowly switching as well because of hardware price...if they can learn to trust Bill a little. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I wouldn't even mess around with a Win 95/98/ME system if I were you. Wait and see...maybe Digi will announce XP support for LE at NAMM, then consider it. But I would go with a Mac system for now considering the options available today.