View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 10:58 AM

Default Re: MTRX-> HDX or MTRX->Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
I know I could use the Rednet PCIe card but that would see me lose hardware monitoring, which I use all the time.

Finally, one HDX card is often insufficient- most people I know have 2 or 3.
This is how I ended up with a Dante connected digital mixer in the monitor path.... I basically just have AD/DA delay. The SQ.5 is .7ms, so the latency is very low. Low enough that I haven't had any drummer complaints. My thought was that an HDX card is roughly the same cost as the digital mixer, so a wash. Both do zero latency FX, etc. Different devices, but they serve the same function.

Needing several HDX cards would have me counting PCIe slots... and my budget. Good things to think about. I suppose it is apparent that the HDX cards are indeed several years old at this point. What Behringer and others have done with digital mixers is quite impressive, and shows what can be done at the price point of a single HDX card - lots of I/O and 48ch of full processing at 96Khz.

It is a good time to making music. Audio hasn't gotten any harder to process, but processing power continues to advance. The new MacPro, for example, offers near limitless capability for audio processing.