View Single Post
Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Re: HDX end-of-cycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I'm confused even more now. you are telling me all the big hollywood scoring and mixing stages are using HDN? because of voice count issues?

Or are you specifically saying HDx1?
No, they can't use HDn because they usually need tons of outputs etc. to feed stem recorders etc. Normally you'll find HDX2 and HDX3. Rarely HDX1, unless it's for a dialogue playback machine that usually has far less tracks then an FX session.

What I'm saying is that you have to be aware of the fact that on HDX1 you will not always be able to play back 256 tracks (or the equivalent mono legs) depending on your session structure and the amount of native plugins. On HDn you will always be able to play back 246 mono track no matter how complex your bussing or plugin setup. Not so on HDX.
But since there's almost no way around using native plugs you'll always have some of them (Reverbs, Dolby Panner etc. etc) .

As a result you might be surprised how few DSP chips and voices you have on HDX1 or even HDX2 when you take your HDn session to such a stage.

It's essentially the exact same thing that happened on TDM when you had RTAS plugs in your session. Just on a different scale.

Many of the large HDn surround fx sessions will not play back on HDX1.

All I wanted to add was that this might be something to consider for the OP. It might not matter to him when he's tracking bands with 10 mics but since he didn't say what his field is I added this info.

Example: HDX1 for example will not be able to play back certain large HDn sessions even though they both have 256 voices.

So with that in mind: Moving from HDn to HDX1 can actually be a step down not up.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 02-14-2017 at 09:37 AM.