View Single Post
Old 02-13-2017, 02:13 PM

Default Re: HDX end-of-cycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Talbot View Post
My PERSONAL, totally non-insider feeling is that Avid is moving to a totally software based DAW, meaning no more external DSP's on cards anymore.

As it is, you can buy a small HD Native card that connects to Avid I/O, including the new MTRX. It's just a matter of time before the card is gone, and the I/O attaches directly to the computer via Thunderbolt. (And as I'm writing this, I'm remembering all kinds of audio I/O that is already Thunderbolt)

As a very long-time PT user, all the way back to PT3, the whole AAX Plugin transition has been a bust. Yeah, there are some good ones, but by and large, even though I have an HDX setup, most of the plugs I use are Native, so I don't even need the HDX card. And that's not to say Avid won't / can't include DSP in the Audio I/O either, but from where I sit, no more DSP on PCIe cards.

So once Avid is done with outboard DSP, its all about Audio I/O, and they've already opened those barn doors pretty wide.

Agree 100%. I feel like HDX was a complete waste of money for me. I would never need to track more then 64 inputs at a time, will never have a session with a 256 track count, and have thousands invested into plugs that will never support AAX DSP. I've been thinking about selling my hdx card and just grabbing a used native card off ebay for a while now