View Single Post
Old 10-21-1999, 01:00 PM

Default Re: digi 001/no asio no sale

well, asio is a standard for a reason, and i wasn't sure that any other driver would work _as well_ as an asio driver for cubase vst24 v4.1 on a fast mac running os 8.5.1 . i conclude from this statement that i can use the audio i/o, but will have to wait till i hear from actual users about issues regarding final real world stability and latency, for instance. i also use peak, i believe that was listed as well for compatibility. previously, some cubase users had occasional problems with drivers for the likes of amIII cards and other digi hardware, so anything other than asio seems like i have to keep my eyes open to be sure. i am harping on this thread because this 001 is one of about three options still in the running for me, and it would be the winner as my next choice of card if i was satisfied that it would play nicely in my system. seems like every company has it's own driver standard and every company wants the other companies to write drivers in that standard. bummer. i just want it to work well, including sample accurate sync. i suppose i would lose control over my adat when using protools, although my korg 1212 has the adat sync and word clock stuff right on it. everything is a tradeoff unless i can afford to drop ten thousand bucks on the mix system with some bells and whistles...which i can't. i have emailed steinberg tech support today to see what they report in terms of driver support and features that cubase can immediatly use should i purchase the digi 001 hardware. i cannot afford to have the studio down for any period because i do regular work in it. i'll be interested to hear steinbergs feedback about drivers/compatibility. i understand you two companies don't get along well for political/market share reasons. alot of folks want pro tools for audio editing and software like cubase for sequencing, each better than the other in it's niche.