View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 01:00 AM

Default Re: 6-core vs. 12-core MacPro w/ ProTools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
The new MP announcement was initially exciting but a disappointment once they got to the price and entry-level components, but I'd like a quicker computer, and the iMac isn't practical. I currently have a 6-core trashcan but have an opportunity to get a 12-core with twice the RAM (64 vs. 32) and the D700 video card instead of the D500.

Our post audio machines are 12-core MPs, but we don't run the same plugins so I can't do an A/B comparison, otherwise I'd answer this question myself.

I use a lot of VIs, so, if I upgrade to the 12-core, will I notice more CPU headroom and/or speed? Benchmarks suggests so, but I prefer real-world feedback.
I have a 12 core trashcan and it’s starting to show it’s age. I’m not sure an individual VI or an instance of VE Pro can spread its load across multiple cores. In other words, with a demanding Kontakt instrument track in record mode, I will frequently see one core max out. In yet more words, it seems the speed of an individual core is as important if not more so than number of cores.

It’s not like I’m running at especially low buffer settings. I default to 256 but often have to up that to 512 to avoid CPU overloads. Anything less than 256 is not usually workable unless it’s a very simple arrangement.

I guess it’s dependent on your workflow and the VIs/libraries you use. In my case, when I’m looking at Geekbench scores I’m looking at the single core performance because that seems to be more reflective of the way I use a Mac.

That said, I’ve only just moved to 2019.5 and Mojave so I’ve yet to test if there has been any improvements in CPU usage with VIs