View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 06:26 AM

Default Hardware suggestions Windows/PT12

My present studio computer is starting to show its age- about 6 years. Boot-up problems are becoming more frequent, though actual in-session crashes are not as common, they do happen (once a month?). I don't encounter memory capacity problems very often, but if a project has a lot of vst plug-ins, which is increasingly frequent, the expected can occur.
My system is built around a Universal Audio Apollo 8 using the Firewire 800 connection, and while the bandwidth thus far seems to be adequate, at some point I'll want to switch to Thunderbolt. It is rare to use more than 14 live channels in- actually, I never have- but the potential for such projects exists.
My projects rarely exceed about 30 or so tracks of signal, but it has happened.
Our environment here is mostly about live music though as mentioned vst's do augment that. Presently running with 12 gig of ram, 1 program drive of 500 gig, two 1 terrabyte drives for files. This is a dedicated studio computer only, no games, internet, WP, or anything else. Its purpose will not change in that regard, so no other applications or use considerations will apply. I don't recall the processor speed, but was not a particular hot rod for six years ago.
I'd probably like to retain the existing data drives- they're a little newer and seem to run fast enough for the present.
I'd like to use twin monitors, assuming PT is good with that otherwise.
My budget is around $1500.
What are the suggestions?