View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 04:02 AM

Default Re: 2018 MacMini experiment on ProTools HDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
Good morning!

Reviving this thread. Anyone else have experiences to share having moved from a 5,1 12 core Cheese grater HDX system to a 2018 maxed out Mac Mini with the HDX card in a TB chassis?
Yes, working great here. TB3 is still unsupported by Avid and will cause problems. I'm using the Sonnet Echo Express but you'll have to buy a Sonnet Thunderbolt 2 card and use a Thuderbolt 3 to TB 2 adapter. Also using an OWC Thunderbay. All solid with one HDX card and a Black Magic Intensity Pro video card installed.

The machine does get pretty warm to the touch but I downloaded an app called Fanny to check my CPU temps and it's all within range. The hottest I've seen it was 68 degrees Celsius. Intel says the max temp for that processor is 100 Celsius, and I've seen no slowdowns whatsoever. Very fast machine and so far very pleased.

NOTE: Sonnet knows about the TB3 issue and they say Avid does as well and Avid is working on it. But I contacted Avid support and they say they have no timeline on TB3 support. Sonnet is giving $50 off the TB2 card for Avid users. Look here.

Last edited by audiobob; 11-20-2019 at 06:27 AM.