View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Using my Yamaha RX-8 drum machine as a MIDI controller

Cross-posting is against the rules, so maybe try to delete the other. It should be possible to use the RX-8 as long as things are set up correctly. Assuming you have a midi input on your interface, open PT and go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. Create a new "instrument" and name it whatever makes sense. The model and brand are not required. What IS required is the input port so PT knows where to "look for"incoming midi data. That setting will likely refer to the midi input of your interface. Unless you plan on sending midi back to the RX-8, you won't need a midi output port assignment. Traditionally, midi channel 10 is used for drums and percussion, so set the midi send to channel 10(de-select the other channels).

By default, any midi or instrument tracks will receive on all midi channels, so create a stereo instrument track, insert Xpand 2 in the top insert slot and put the track in record-ready. Play the pads on the RX-8 and hopefully you will trigger some sounds. The tricky part will be assigning midi note values so that each pad triggers the sound you want.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave