View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HDX useless?!?!?! major RAM usage problems 32bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
Hey dudes.

I'm gonna guess that every single one of you having problems are using waves and sound toys plugs in your sessions....also 10.8...bad idea for now

A couple of questions also.

1. Why the heck would you change a complete system in the MIDDLE of a mix...that is user error.

2. Why are there many folks with HDX 3 and up rigs reporting that their rigs are flying with no problems in post and music situations with large track counts?

...final note...there have been reports of sync I/O not playing well...check into that as that may be the source right there....and not one of you with HDX has included the system details you rate running it on...why is that?

Oh and I almost forgot THE BIGGEST problem is SLATE VCC...that thing will kill you on PT10/HDX...esp if you use the Neve setting...non AAX plugs report DC randomly incorrectly

Hi "dude"

I'm still in 10.7.4. I am using Sound Toys and Waves plugins, as are most professionals in any DAW.

1. We didn't change systems in the MIDDLE of a mix. We have been writing on this systems as well. The problems with RAM didn't show up till mixing when more strain was put on the system.

2. Evidently they don't use as many plugins as we are. This is a real limitation for any 32bit app. We are using even fewer plugins than we have in past mixes on our TDM system. But, now that many plugin companies still need to update their plugins for AAX DSP, we are hitting a wall on RAM usage.

I've spoken with Avid techs and even had them come out to our studio no one from Avid seems to see any problem with the Sync I/O (Not sure how the Sync I/O would use up more RAM but whatever)

I simply forgot to mention the rate. We are working at 48kHz 24bit.

And we don't have Slate VCC.

Thanks for your input though. I'm assuming you're not experiencing any problems with your rig then?

For anyone else pushing there system a little harder you may want to check out this app the guys from Avid turned me on to: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memo...51444120?mt=12

You're able to monitor and clear out ram being used in an app. This is helpful as not all plugins will return the ram they were using. I've been quitting Pro Tools when switching session to try to get around this but this app should help for that. I've been told it's best to only clear the ram when your session is closed but Pro Tools can stay open.

Cheers,
Dustin