View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 06:34 AM

Default Re: iMac Pro Xeon vs. iMac i7

Would it be fair then to say that Pro Tools and RX and such don't really benefit from the larger multi-core systems as much as higher single core speeds?

I was thinking of jumping ship to something like the newer i7 or Ryzen processors, but if Pro Tools doesn't really use the multi-core processors as efficiently as , say, a 3d rendering software, maybe i need to rethink what I was going to purchase.

Thanks,
Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I can't comment directly on this topic, but you could do some tests to see how well RX6 is utilizing multiple cores by watching Activity Monitor. I'm pretty sure it runs most processes on one core. Cross-reference whatever you discover with the single-core performance scores on Geekbench. You would have to extrapolate from other Xeon tests because there is zero data available on the iMac Pro, but possibly some data on similar Xeon chips running on other systems...

FWIW, RX6 is fast on the current crop of Mac Pros. But that said, the current iMacs are famous for having higher single-core scores. In all likelihood, the 6-core iMac Pro will be outfitted with a chip that has higher single and multi-core scores.