View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Will Aspera stop DD central site after Dec.2011?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
Guys,
Try this:
http://www.getgobbler.com/

It works great. Good support.
Here is my link:
http://www.getgobbler.com/i/ybZG2

After you try it post your results.

PS,
I only put this up because of Aspera's lack of support and those of us in Post
needing something else to use.

Thanks for the info, it looked interesting, so we tried it.

As always, people can have totally different experiences.
And I'm sorry to say, it was a total disappointment for us.

It seems Gobbler is still in beta - but why make it public if it doesn't work at all? - which is our experience.

We were two guys trying this out.
The guy uploading a session never knew there was a problem (!), except that it all happened very slow. But on the recieving end I saw that the uploads were cancelled, they were "done" but then deleted, they started but halted etc.

All this after I had got the mail saying there was a file sent to me... so the upload was still in progress when the mail was sent.

Only one file (a 103 MB file out of a whole session) was, finally accepted by the system as uploaded. But the sender never knew there even was a problem in the first place. All looked just fine, so he believed the whole session had been uploaded succesfully.
There was no indication of a problem at his end.

My attempt to download this 103 MB file NEVER succeeded; it started slow as molasses and finally reached 100% status (after a couple of hours), but right away the download started all over again from 0%, and again, and again. All night.

But no file was ever delivered to me.

So presumably there was no file, no session, no nothing to even be downloaded, or was there?

This was not a great first impression.
Might have been a bad day.

But we're not very intrigued by the prospect of uploading copyrighted material, to an unknown server somewhere, either. Are you?
What about the owner or the producer of the material?

Summary: they say we could use this as a backup system for our sessions.
Not with this reliability, nor with this speed.

This might of course develope into a very usefull system. Who knows.

Just my experience, of course. YMMV

- - -

On the other hand, the other day we also tried one of the Aspera "software only" DigiDelivery alternatives, and we were blown away by the speed.

The broadband connection I used at that moment was 10Mbits down and 1Mbits up, and the speed at which the files moved was 9,6Mbits down and 960Kbits up!

That's saturating the line.

The next step is to try it with a much faster broadband connection.

We're still a little bit confused how this software only solution can replace a DigiDelivery system, but we have to dig into it.

Another question is: is there really a point-to-point transfer taking place, or are the files buffered on an Aspera server somewhere?

Anyone of you guys tried the Aspera software solutions?
Does AVID have anything to say regarding the current status of DigiDelivery?

Seems that the trend is to not use dedicated hardware for any "delivery" anymore?

-matts