View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 05:50 PM

Default Mac Mini 2018 for Post - opinions

I need advice from the brain trust here. There are plenty of threads about the Mac Mini i7 but I'm looking for anyone who uses it for Post with real world experience. This is for my home rig. Mac Pro is beyond my budget at this point and I have no interest in iMac or a PC.

I currently use a 5.1 12 core which has certainly served me well. But lately I've been getting AAE errors and out of CPU errors. My projects are not usually that complicated but could be anything from a :30 spot to a feature. I've seen a lot of reports that the Mini has a surprising amount of power and runs well.

I'm trying to think through logistics. Obviously I'll need a hard drive enclosure or two. What about displays? If I run two displays would I have one on the HDMI port with a Displayport adapter and one using a Thunderbolt port with adapter? For video output would an Aja T-Tap do? Looking at Thunderbolt docks for additional connectivity too...

Lastly - eGPU or not? I'd rather not if PT runs OK with the integrated graphics.

Thanks in advance.