View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Cue mixes in C24

Welcome to the forum! The 02R96 is a wonderful mixing console with control-surface type functions built-in, but again it is an actual mixing console. While the C24 looks like a console---technically it is a control surface only. Yes, there are mic-pres but it's just that---micpres. There is a monitor section and a small submixer. BUT the actual mixing console is inside ProToolsHD itself, the C24 just gives you access to that mixer with hands-on control. Whether it's PTLE, PTHD, or PTHD NATIVE---the mixer function is inside ProTools, the C24 gives you the physical control. In other words you're going to create aux's or cue sends just like you would on the 02R but it will be on the INTERFACE where those come out of, NOT on the control surface itself.

Before I go any further---what makes you want the C24? It is a fine control surface and I definitely recommend it, but you might want to possibly consider the Euphonix Artist series. My personal system had the Control24 and it was time to upgrade, obviously the C24 was high on the list. I had always know about the Euphonix Artist series (MC MIX, MC Control, etc) and thought it was a fine product but when I learned that AVID was acquiring Euphonix, I looked more seriously. Now outside of ProTools I was also doing A LOT of Final Cut and wanted to get more into both Logic as well as Digital Performer. In those instances a C24 wasn't going to do anything for me other than ProTools. The reason I looked further into this AFTER I knew of the acquisition is that the C24 has a lot more direct control as it is part of the PT integration where the Euphonix is using HUI. Now, Euphonix has what is called EuCon which means "Euphonix Control" and is a lot more in-depth, but still the limitations of HUI apply. Knowing that EuCon was going to be built directly into ProTools changed my mind, so I picked up: (1) MC CONTROL V2, (3) MC MIX, and (1) MC TRANSPORT. I must say I couldn't have been happier!

When in Final Cut the amount of control I have via the touch-display of the MC CONTROL V2 is awesome awesome awesome--it's sped up my editing time like you can't possibly imagine. But talking ProTools, again everything is in-front of me being just a touch away. If I want to do a crossfade of two clips I don't have to take the mouse and go find the command to click on it, or try to remember what the shortkey combination is....I just highlight with my right hand on the mouse and click the tab on the MC with my left hand. I have more faders at my disposal (I could have up to four MC MIX if I wanted) with this setup giving me 28-faders v/s 24-faders. The transport is very nice! No, there's no monitor section (well there is but not really) but honestly, something like a Central Station or DBox is going to be a better choice anyway).

Okay there are some things that currently are not as ideal...such as the amount of control you have over the plugins, not being able to spill out controls, etc. It's going to be less money, take up less depth although width can certainly be more, etc. It's just another option that you might want to look at first....