View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 02:34 PM

Default Re: looking for a digital audio desk to run with Pro Tools 2018.7

I use a Tascam DM4800 and it's an amazing tool for my studio. I don't use the analog element of the console much at all aside from driving my studio monitors with it. I used to use it with the tascam Firewire interface card (32/32). It was pretty nice but firewire support has waned and I switched to a Motu 112D to handle the transaction with the computer. Of course Tascam has discontinued this mixer and it's not really supported but it still works great. It can handle up to 96k and has a robust control surface element that gives you 24 faders (scrollable) worth of channel control. It also has transport and some location control.

The mixer itself is pretty robust. My setup is pretty extensive with external converters and pre's. I mostly use the mixer for digital plumbing, my house PA system, monitor control, and a control surface. I don't use the onboard pre's very often but occasionally they find their way into situations. With an external clock they stand up with my boutique stuff well enough. No one has ever complained that my bottom snare mic is lacking.

I wish Tascam had continued to develop this type of product. It's large, it lacks some of the modern formats like Madi or some kind of AVB element. It can run at 96k very well but their ADAT cards don't do SMUX, only the single ADAT on the console will do SMUX. Cards are harder to find because they mixer is out of production. You can buy these things for pretty cheap. I started with a DM24, then a DM3200 and finally, a DM 4800. I grew into each. Totally happy with the 4800.