View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 10:45 PM

Default Re: HD Omni Optical Input Level low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeatless View Post
I left some details out of my original post. I'm running HDMI from my "Machine room" to the control room, and using an HDMI optical extractor to get optical to the omni before HDMI goes to my display. I then use the mixer in the omni to keep the computer audio on even if pro tools is not open. I've been doing this for years without issue. I recently moved things around in my room to accommodate new studio monitors, and I must have accidentally used the 2nd HDMI run I have, and that cable is somehow attenuating the digital audio signal?! Swapping to the other HDMI cable has 100% resolved the issue. I really don't understand how or why, but everything worked perfectly all day today. These are "active" HDMI cables, so I'm guessing one has just gone bad?

Thanks again!
You can't "attenuate" the signal in HDMI cables. What exact HDMI to optical converter are you using to drive TOSLINK into the Omni? If that is capable of digital audio format conversion then one guess is you might accidentally be outputting non-PCM signals from the Mac and then covering them back to PCM on TOSLINK.