View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Sample Rounding Issue!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxes View Post
...The timebase is set to ticks but the issue happenes if set to samples as well.
Sample rounding will *always* occur if the track is set to *samples* and the samples to tick ratio is not a whole number - IOW, you really need to be working with tick-based tracks or you will more-than-likely (though not necessarily) have sample rounding issues. If you create a clip on a track in "samples" mode that is 1/4 note long, it is unlikely to actually be exactly 1/4 note in ticks (because you're using a sample time base) - the "samples" time base though is very important to any of us working on non-tempo-grid based material (non-grid based music, time code based material, etc).

If you are in "ticks" mode, and your clips are created to be for example exactly 1/4 note then they will act correctly and you shouldn't have a problem. Pro Tools allows users the flexibility to have multiple timebases working in a single session and to move tracks freely between sample and tick timebase - I suspect that the people having problems with this have either created or edited clips on a track in "samples" mode and then changed it to "ticks" mode and expect everything to work just fine - it usually will not. I'd be very curious to see an example of sample rounding error on a tick based track with material that's been created or conformed to the tick grid - not saying it's not possible that there's a bug, but I'd want to see it.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 05-26-2019 at 06:13 PM.