View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Which External Hard Drive to Record with Pro Tools (Lacie, G-tech, OWC?)

Don't get the acrylic one. It's a piece of ****. Screws strip. Stick with OWC aluminum. Here is the link for Dulce Systems (hardware raid is ok, but spanning should be turned off, and if using PTs round robin, turn raid off). http://www.dulcesystems.com/html/products.html (don't know why B&H stopped carrying this brand, they now only sell CalDigit). Anyway B&H doesn't ship overseas and OWC does.

I've been using Firewire since the Oxford 911 chipset came out. IOWs 1.5 amps @ 5 volts (these are the 110/220 volt rectangular power supplies not the infamous wall wart) on the original aluminum OWC enclosure -- some of the newer OWC units have a direct AC input. (sorry 'bout my blurry vision it' mixed in with a ton of spaghetti) not .7 amps but 1.5 amps is suitable with the older and faster (more heat) WD drive I use frequently. The newer ones are above 7 in seek times, closer to 9, but require less power/produce less heat.

For location work I intend on using a 5,400 buss 1394a powered unit (the latest Seagate which I think may still be vs 12, but not sure as I only know about the 3.5 inch 7,200 rpm versions). Only need 4-7 channels at 48k. Vrs 12 Barracudas are low noise, low heat from my experience. Only buy from a reputable dealer if not in the retail box.