View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 02:53 PM

Default Re: can't open older PT sessions...help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1268 View Post
okay, here's the deal

i wrote about a half dozen songs in what i think was PT 7 back in 2006 and 2007 on an Apple G3 running OS 9.2

I kept the files stored on a high performance SCSI drive

I dug out the old Mac, and fired her up....

Everything was still in tact.... and so I moved all the PT sessions onto a 4 gig USB drive so I could then store them on the external Firewire drive I use to record on my Macbook Pro via Mbox2 mini

BUT, when I go to open the sessions they are not recognized as PT sessions and I can't open them.. Furthermore, the audio files (although clearly large) don't have the .SD2 suffix on them

Now, I know PT 8 is backwards compatible and should recognize, open, and then allow me to subsequently save the session and ancillary audio (.SD2) files in accordance with PT 8 ...but that's not happening

What did am I doing wrong, here?

Anyone?

In desperate need of help.... Thanks

Paul
A couple of things happened here. First the real problem is that you moved the .sd2 files onto a usb fat32 formatted drive which can't properly handle .sd2 files and you lost the resource forks for those files. If you have the original sessions still on the old G3 then open the sessions on the G3, do a "save copy in" and convert the audio files to .wav, then copy all those sessions over to your newer system. The session document in PT7 should be handled with no problems from PT8 but the transfer of audio files .sd2 onto the usb drive formatted fat32 killed the audio files.