View Single Post
Old 05-27-2023, 01:01 PM

Default Re: How often does your Pro Tools crash on your Mac hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protootr View Post
Next to that I don't install any exotic software or utilities beside the ones installed by plugins and DAWs. And if you can afford it, especially if you earn a living with using Pro Tools, use a different computer for browsing, email, administration, gaming, etc. Keep your Pro Tools workstation as clean as possible from any other software.
Long time since I made a living from my PT rig. But I still have a lot of gear left, and I have a mixing setup in the middle of my living room, I use my mac for everything in addition to PT. Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, browsers, Facetime, messages/mail, reminders, music, online TV/entertainment - only thing not going thru the mac is my record player. Two displays, 2x2TB external drives, and tons of usb, bluetooth devices etc. Heck, even my robot vacuum cleaner is controlled from the mac.

The M2 Mini hasn't crashed since I bought it mid february. Neither has PT. And I keep most everything running 24/7, including PT. I usually quit PT to run Lightroom, and the other way around, because of memory load.

"Be shure you're up to date" is a very common thing to hear.
I think the most important factor in my having a stable setup over the years is that I always stay with a version of things that I've determined to be stable. I often skip entire stages of macOS f.ex. I don't fix what's not broken, and if something breaks, I can quickly return the mac to its previous state via backup.

Just saying it's not at all impossible to have PT running stable side by side with lots of other stuff.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 05-27-2023 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added info