View Single Post
Old 05-24-2023, 09:14 AM

Default Re: How often does your Pro Tools crash on your Mac hardware?

Assuming your hardware is in good shape, the number one reason for PT crashes is plugins that are not up to date or that are badly programmed.

I used to have an enormous amount of plugins installed even though for day-to-day work I only use a particular set of go to plugins.

About 5 years ago I thoroughly managed my plugin collection. Removed freebies and all others that I do not use.

I didn't have that much crashes to begin with but now I can count the number of crashes per year on one, maybe two hands. And most of the times these are with very demanding sessions. Besides it is also a lot less time consuming to keep the plugins I do use up to date.

I still check out demos and freebies, but I make a habit of not installing them during a project and immediately delete them if I am not 100% sure I will use them.

Next to that I don't install any exotic software or utilities beside the ones installed by plugins and DAWs. And if you can afford it, especially if you earn a living with using Pro Tools, use a different computer for browsing, email, administration, gaming, etc. Keep your Pro Tools workstation as clean as possible from any other software.

These habits make a world of difference in my experience.