View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Mid Side Miking Technique

MS is an *equivalent* to XY stereo. Itīs by no means "fake stereo". It offrers very precise localizations and you can control the stereo width *after* recording or during the recording.

XY and MS are directly convertible.

MS was used for ages to cut vinyl records. actually the grove on a record is MS stereo as well.

MS is the only 100% mono compatible mic setup. thatīs why itīs very popular in film and tv audio.

the standard chennel setup is
channel 1: M
channel2: S

the figure of eight has to be facing left with the front to make the S1 work. otherwise you will reverse L/R as a result but the S1 offrers a channel flip on the inputs

frank.

Quote:
Hi all,<BR>Excuse my potential ignorance here, but I was having an MS discussion with a collegue.<BR>My thought was that MS is fake stereo at best. (there can be no information that is on the left side that is not on the right side) But basically you cover your butt with the center mic should the product ever get put into mono. (in which case the fig8 mic dissapears)<BR>His arugment was that there IS a left and right signal due to certain timing and phase relationships between the center and fig8 mic. <BR>I don't get it though.<BR>clue me in gang.