View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Default Re: New Mac pro 2013 and PTHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilulilu888 View Post
No way hakintosh...... Too much of a macaddict....
There will always be something faster smother better and newer...
I am trying to be as realistic as possible:
I'm not going to spend 10000$ on HDX , or 12500$ with a new Mac pro(cause my 3.1 macpro isn't qualifyed......
I am not going to spend 5000$ on HDN or 7000$ with a new powerful iMac (cause my 3.1 is not powerful enough to hold an heavy native system...)
I do have an HD 3 accel system with tons of TDM plugins ....all of them are 100% legal .... I might as well stick to it and get the best machine possible for running this system hoping that this setup will last at least 3-4 years.... By then the HDX will be more reasonable and the 5.1 Mac might still be in perfect shape to work with it.... I know that my current Mac pro is rock solid , trustful , fast - but unfortunatly not powerful enough to handle some new VI's and native plugins....or at least allot of them...
I had some thoughts about magma chassis.... And getting some more hd accel process cards which are cheap now.... But that is very expansive...... And un reasonable..... Even more then just getting a new Mac pro...
B the way can someone explain what do I gain from adding more process cards? I do not expand voice count? Right? It just gives the system more juice for TDM handling ... Am I'm wrong?
Your bang for the buck is to build a hackintosh.

You will still run MacOS - there is no perceptible difference to you (except more speed). A mac addict? what does that have to do with hardware? You do realize that once you build your hackintosh, unless you like to look at the silver tower, you'll never know the difference? And you could build a silver tower if you really wanted to. Or not.

You will have more ram. Faster storage. Component level repair. And you can spec any components that make you happy. Want a silent PSU? Done. The sky's the limit. And since your investment is 1/5 of an apple branded machine, you can toss it in a year if you want to move on. And the modern mobos have features such as USB3 and mSATA. But no tbolt. But are you willing to pay $$$$ for that?

For a VERY modest investment (< $1500), you can preserve your software and hardware and get another 2+ years out of it and wait and see what the newer technology brings.

My $.02

-- and yes, I'm running a hackintosh, i7 2600k (quad). 32gb ram. but there are even better specs on the mobos and cpus today (vs 4 months ago)!