View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 PM

Default Re: New Mac pro 2013 and PTHD

Sounds like the OP has a great working TDM Accel setup. That said sounds like a new computer might not be a bad investment that could see that TDM gear working for another 4 years. The machines did not go up in power but the price did come down. My new 12 core was the price of the 8 core it replaced. All the mac pros I've owned are still working so they've really been a great investment.

I'm not sure the new machines (when/if) they land will be very useful to an HD Accel user if there is no convenient way to mount PCI cards other than a chassis (which would be quite pricey). I've kept a rig running TDM because it's so solid, but currently cut on a 12 core with HD native which handles it with ease. I've got compatibility with PT11 on the native setup and a working TDM solution with the older hardware.

If you bought now, then by the time that new Mac Pro lands (Q3 2013) you'd have had a year in which to pay off your machine, then a rig that will still run great on a relatively fast computer. Applecare if you are worried and then the next 3 years are trouble free computing for you.

My 2c