View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 10:48 AM

Default Inactivating Master Track

Hi All,

Been using PT since mid 2000s. WIN 10, Apollo Twin USB. This may sound like a "noob" question - but I'm confused.

Doing home recording, light jazz/pop/folk/bossa singer songwriter style music. Mic'd vocals and acoustic guitars, VIs for sweetening and percussion.

I always set up my audio and instrument tracks to O/P to MON1/2 (my interface's main stereo outputs).

I always added a Master track, and also set it's output to MON1/2. Then I'd insert my "mixdown" plugins on the Master Track.

Well...

I recently demoed a new interface and while hacking around, I set the Master Track's output to "no output" (which I had never done before).

So I'm hearing the summed stereo output of all my tracks/channels at my interface's Main Outs (MON1/2) - *minus* any plugins that were on the Master Track.

I also tried "inactivating" the Master track - and same result - hear my mix (minus any Master Track plugins) summed in stereo to my interface's Main Outs.

OK.

So, I get to thinking, then why do I need a Master Track? Why don't I set up an Aux Track (call it "Pre-Master" let's say), and put my "mixdown" plugins on that bus?

Without a Master Track, everything appears to still get summed to my interface's Main Outs, and the "mixdown" plugs on this "Pre-Master" bus get applied to the output signal.

Is the only reason for the Master Track then just a "convenient" way to raise/lower the overall output level? I always leave the Master Track fader at 0dB, and adjust the individual tracks/channel to get the appropriate level I'm going for on the Master Track VU meters.

So what am I missing - if I use that "Pre-Master" as a mixdown bus, why do I need a Master Track?

Thanks,
Danny V.