View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Which Mac Mini: 2.7 GHz Dual-Core or 2.0 GHz Quad-Core???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProMac07 View Post
Yeah I guess I meant multi-threading.

Wait so you use the Solid State Drive for the OS and apps? I thought that was gonna be used for recording?

Also the quad-core brings 2 hard drives (both 7400rpm), so are you saying to take one out, install the SSD and just leave the other 7400rpm Hd there?
In most cases, the SSD will help the OS more (faster OS startup, faster application loading, etc.) than the recording drive. This is because the recording process is a sequential writing process and SSD's strength is reading speeds (not writing speeds). SSD's have improved their writing speeds with each new generation so things are getting better. Some folks have had good success recording to an SSD but some have not. Spinning discs are still the media of choice for recording for now.

Please note that the Mac Mini server in it's unchanged configuration comes with 2 5400RPM drives. To get the 2 7200RPM drives is an extra cost option. Also the server comes with Lion Server for the OS. This puts quite a lot of unnecessary applications and services on the OS that may negatively affect the way Protools works. You may consider formatting and loading the regular Lion OS.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1