View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 09:08 PM

Default Tracking with low buffer size with PT 12.8 and Apollo?

I recently upgraded my laptop because I was running into CPU usage issues while tracking with PT 10 and a 2011 MacBook Pro with a 2.0 GHz i7, but now the issue seems worse. Now I'm using a system with a 2015 MacBook Pro with a 2.8 GHz i7 running PT 12.8, but the CPU usage alert seems to happen more frequently.

I'm using a multiple Apollo setup with a furman 6 channel headphone distribution system. I just mute Apollo's monitoring app and set my PT buffer low and use sends to route outputs to the furman boxes. With my old setup, I could track using a 128 buffer size with 16 inputs being recorded and out of every 10 takes, I would get a CPU usage error message maybe one time. Now when I try that with my new setup, it seems to happen almost every time I attempt a take. I've had to just switch to using Apollo's monitoring software and build mixes for the artist myself, but that defeats the purpose of me upgrading in the first place.

Any ideas on why I might be having this issue? In theory, it seems that with the more powerful laptop, I should be able to do this without the computer breaking a sweat. And isn't PT 12 also better on resources than PT 10?