View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Disk Cache oddity

This is all too confusing without knowing exactly how all these numbers are derived. There are many different meanings of memory use and capacity limits. Especially say the memory size potentially allocated for the disk cache and the amount of that actually in use. I kinda hope Pro Tools memory warnings works from the max size allocated, even if there is currently cache memory unused maybe those warnings could be improved or supressable.

“Little helper” does not mean much, what exact product and what exactly is it measuring.

—-

And I would be curious if errors about not being able to read from disk fast enough are caused by write to disk to free space at the same time as reading in new content. Hard for us users to diagnose, but somebody really eager can spy on the cache behavior with the right tools. This is more and area where Avid ought to have some documentation about what is going on in extreme cases and best practices for handling that

What is the underlying disk in those cases? I do worry about folks relying on disk cache to cover for slow HDD or RAID or NAS systems. That may be just asking for corner case issues.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-03-2019 at 07:39 AM.