View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Pipe dream to run PT10 on a Dell Optiplex 980 i5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
Is it a pipe dream to think that I'll be able to run some version of ProTools 10 on a Dell Optiplex 980 i5 (650 3.2GHz) with 4GB of RAM on Windows 7?
Specs here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/del...-34280352.html

I'm not mixin' national records on this particular machine - I have other tools for that. Just need to playback about 24 and record 2 at a time. Simple stuff - getting learning tapes together. But I want the convenience of using the PC at my job that I have admin access to.

I still have an old Digidesign USB Micro audio interface too - will that work? I'm usually an all Mac guy. But I need a PC solution and I'm wondering what the most current software version is that I can use on this baby. I LOVE clip gain and am really hoping to be able to put 10 on this baby. Any help you could offer would be great. I know this isn't an 'approved' computer for 10 - I've read all that. I'm just wondering if people ARE using i5s successfully with PT10.

Thanks!
I'm using a Micro with my MBP and PT9 HD and its fine. However the Micro has zero inputs. It was a monitoring only solution. The Mini had two inputs. 1 line and one line or XLR. If your only recording VIs than the Micro would be fine. if your trying to record audio you going to need a Mini. Since 9 and 10 support third party hardware you have plenty of choices. Any Windows interface is going to need a ASIO driver to work with Pro Tools natively.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88